Over at Kelly's Korner (a blog I frequently stalk) she is asking for people to post tips on blogging.
Now, I'm not an expert blogger. I've been blogging since 2008 and only have...let's see...23 followers. I don't get a lot of comments and I don't make any money off my blog. I think this means I basically suck at blogging.
Due to my general suckiness, I thought I would share things NOT to do on a blog. Things that are obnoxious and make me never want to look at your blog again.
Blogging Tips--What Not To Do

1. Don't play music. I realize you LOVE Justin Bieber and Kenny G, but maybe other people don't have the same taste in music. It's annoying when I'm looking at blogs at 2 a.m. when I can't sleep--and I don't realize my computer's sound is turned up---and I almost pee my pants because suddenly 'Ice, Ice, Baby' is loudly blaring through my house. You try to go back to sleep after that....impossible.
2. What is with the weird, hard to read fonts? I can't stand that. Don't write with that stupid loopy font, it hurts my widdle eyes.
3. Please don't make every word in your post a different size, font, color, whatever. Once again, my widdle eyes will tear up from that.
4. Do not use curse words in your post. Maybe this is just a personal thing, but I hate cursing. I don't want to read your blog post and be smacked in the face by the F word. I don't like that language and I think it makes you look unintelligent. Obviously, this is just my opinion, it's your blog and you can choose to do whatever you want. But I will chose to never go back to your blog.
Now, I'm not an expert blogger. I've been blogging since 2008 and only have...let's see...23 followers. I don't get a lot of comments and I don't make any money off my blog. I think this means I basically suck at blogging.
Due to my general suckiness, I thought I would share things NOT to do on a blog. Things that are obnoxious and make me never want to look at your blog again.
Blogging Tips--What Not To Do

1. Don't play music. I realize you LOVE Justin Bieber and Kenny G, but maybe other people don't have the same taste in music. It's annoying when I'm looking at blogs at 2 a.m. when I can't sleep--and I don't realize my computer's sound is turned up---and I almost pee my pants because suddenly 'Ice, Ice, Baby' is loudly blaring through my house. You try to go back to sleep after that....impossible.
2. What is with the weird, hard to read fonts? I can't stand that. Don't write with that stupid loopy font, it hurts my widdle eyes.
3. Please don't make every word in your post a different size, font, color, whatever. Once again, my widdle eyes will tear up from that.
4. Do not use curse words in your post. Maybe this is just a personal thing, but I hate cursing. I don't want to read your blog post and be smacked in the face by the F word. I don't like that language and I think it makes you look unintelligent. Obviously, this is just my opinion, it's your blog and you can choose to do whatever you want. But I will chose to never go back to your blog.
5. Don't be mean. I don't like it when people leave mean comments on other's blogs. I will never follow you if you're a jerk. Sarcasm/teasing is one thing, being a turd is another.
So there ya go. What NOT to do on your blog!
Check out Amiee's post for more "what not to do" items
Click here: Amiee's post
And here's a link to Kelly's blog for some REAL blogging tips!
Kelly's Korner

25 comments:
Now, you have 24 :) Thanks for linking to my blog. I love what you added!
I DEFINITELY agree with #1!! Background music is the worst!!
Your humor is great! =) I agree with all of your what not to do tips.
Haha, love this!! Couldn't agree more!
Your babies are precious! I can't imagine having much time to blog with 3 young children. I have been able to finally grow my blog since all my children are grown up and gone. It takes a lot of work!
Blessings,
Lori
www.lorialexander.blogspot.com
Yes, yes, YES on #1 and #3 for sure! I stopped by from Kelly's Korner, by the way. : )
I have twin girls who were born in April 2009!
Amen to all of these! I am glad to know that I am not the only one who hates "blog soundtracks" - my 3 kids bring enough ruckus, er...joyful noise, into our house, the last thing I need is to be surprised by blaring music! ;-)
Amen to the music and the fonts. I like plain simple font (please larger than 8pt!) The music doesn't scare me so much as it wakes up anyone else who might still be sleeping at 6am (or middle of the night).
Your girls are precious!!
Love all your "what not to do" tips!! Your family is adorable! I remember well the days when my "babies" were little~ Bravo to you for posting and putting memories to print! I have printed my blog many times over the years, into books! No better way to journal!
GUILTY of the music LOL... I changed that though when I made the move from blogger to wordpress! I no longer have the music ;-). Thanks for the tips!
HA! This made me LOL. Great post. I found you on Kelly's link-up and had to tell you how much I enjoyed your post. =)
So glad I am not the only who finds background music annoying on blogs ... great tips! you have beautiful kids!
...and now I'm YOUR newest follower ;) Have a great weekend!
Great tips! I hopped over from Kelly's Blog. You have such an adorable family.
Love!! So funny! I just told my husband about the annoyance of hearing music! It's interupts my TV watchin'. And, always catches me of guard! LOL!
Your blog rocks! Glad to have found you through KK!
Funny! You don NOT suck at blogging!
I agree with ALL of these...like many others, I especially can't stand the background music!
-kelly f.
I agree with ALL of these!!! Another thing I don't like when bloggers post too much of their personal drama on there. That's something that completely turns me off as a reader.
Oh my goodness - I can't stand the music! I'm trying to discreetly check out blogs, and then my husband wants to know what that loud music is! Annoying!
I can't stand the different colored writing either - so annoying - especially when you inevitably change your background colors at some point!
LOVE your tips!
Great tips!!! And I have been blogging for years with no money and few followers! Keep on writing!!
Great tips on what NOT to do! I totally laughed out loud when you wrote about not having many followers, no sponsors and few comments that are left...my blog life in a nutshell!
BTW, I bopped over from Kelly's Korner :)
loved this post :) ....AND love that you have 23 COMMENTS after talking about your 23 followers...not too shabby :) Pretty fabulous actually, right??
Love your post! I'm very new to blogging, so I thought I should head back over to this link-up & get some tips! So I'll definitely try and remember NOT to do all of those things! =)
Post a Comment