Sunday, August 21, 2011

New Era

I feel like Brooks and I entered into a new era of parenting this week.

Here's what happened:

We were all heading home from an evening of prayer at the park with our church. It was late (past 8:30pm, which is late if you have kids) and we realized we had not eaten dinner. The girls ate, but Brooks and I were too busy.

Brooks asked me if I wanted some ice cream. I said no, I was really hungry. I wanted some 'real' food. So we headed down the road to get some tacos. After getting our yummy tacos, we started heading home.

Maya piped up from the back of our van and said, "Where Maya ice cream? Maya get ice cream?" and then we heard, "Gigi want ice cream, too!" (my children speak in third person).

I was shocked! This might not seem like a big deal, but Brooks and I had barely mentioned ice cream! And it had been like 15 minutes! We weren't talking to the girls and didn't think they were listening.

I realized some things that night:
1. My kids are listening and comprehending what Brooks and I are talking about.
2. My kids are hearing what we're saying, even when we aren't talking to them.
3. They are repeating what we are saying.
4. They know what ice cream is (I'm pretty sure they have only had ice cream a few times).

What in the world?!? When did this happen?
I need to start being very careful how I speak and what I'm talking about. And I realized that if they are listening to us, they are listening to the television when it's on.

Some of you reading this will probably think I'm crazy--of COURSE your kids hear you, stupid lady!

But they normally don't seem to pay attention. They're in their own little worlds and I usually assume they think we're boring.

Not anymore...
They're listening! Yikes!

(and yes, we stopped and got them some ice cream)




Photobucket

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I don't think you're crazy at all! Peytonn has done this to me a bunch. He'll ask me for something and I'll say no and he responds "mom! I told you several times that I want....." Now this stems from me saying "Peytonn, I've told you several times to pick up your toys!"

They totally listen!

Amanda Money said...

Thanks for becoming my newest follower, I'm now your newest! Your girls are the sweetest thing ever. I have a two year old and it's so amazing when you realize how much they're actually listening to you. Kind of scary :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...