....how does your garden grow?
One thing I was really excited about when we decided to move to Michigan was the chance to grow a garden. At our last house, our yard was teeny tiny, mostly due to the river in our backyard.
We only lived here for a few weeks when we borrowed a tiller and put in a garden. It's not huge and it's definitely far from perfect, but I love it. At the time we started the garden, we were feeling totally overwhelmed by unpacking and being surrounded by everything new. I remember thinking, as Brooks was wrestling with the big bucking bronco called a tiller, that when my garden started to put out produce, our life would be a little less stressful. All the unpacking and craziness would be worth it and we would be moved into our new house.
For the most part, that's true. We still have a lot of work to do with moving in, but I remember it took MONTHS to move into our last house. And that was without three small girls causing chaos. It's a work in progress.
So here's our garden. It's small (only 10 ft by 12 ft), but it's beautiful to me. We planted 9 tomato plants, green peppers, red peppers, jalapeno peppers, cucumbers, kale, and one zucchini plant. On my porch I have romaine lettuce and some herbs.
The garden....see the HUGE plant in the lower right section? That is ONE zucchini plant. ONE!! What in the world?!? It's like a mutant! I actually had to cut back some of the leaves because they were totally shading my peppers.
My first little zucchinis...just starting out!
Kale...this is only 4 kale plants. Also growing like crazy.
I love my little garden. What's your favorite thing to grow? I need ideas for next year!
I'm linking up today with Capri + 3 for Multiples Monday! Go check it out!


4 comments:
We started small too for the first two years. We expanded this year. My favs are tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, and lettuce. Mostly because they are uber easy to grow and you can essentially "forget" about them. That's my kind of garden! :)
Awesome I love gardens!!! I hope to plant some stuff next year. My favorite is tomatoes so I could make fried green tomatoes all the time;)
Hi Jill.
Your garden is beautiful. It is wonderful to eat fresh produce you have grown yourself. It feels good to share that as a family.
: 0 ) Theresa
I love having a garden. We didn't do much of one this year (like at all...) because of selling our house. But I know what you mean about a plant just taking over! One year we had this crazy cherry tomato plant that was 6 feet tall and 6 feet wide. The thing totally took over.
Post a Comment