A few weeks ago, I posted about books my girls love. I mentioned in that post that I love reading (a lot!), and I've been reading quite a few books lately. My sweet husband bought me a Nook Color for Valentine's Day last year and since then, I've been going book crazy. I've read over 50 books this past year.

Since I'm always on the lookout for a new book or author to read, I thought maybe you would be interested, too. If you hate reading, please disregard this post.
(Disclaimer: I am a Christian, and I do enjoy Christian fiction occasionally. But I really enjoy venturing into regular fiction and biographies. I'll let you know what genre these books belong to.)
Here are a few books that I've really enjoyed (click on the title for a link to the book):
The Perfect Husband by Lisa Gardner
Warning: this book is a little scary! But it is really good, too, so I just worked my way through the scary parts. Basically, this lady ends up in an abusive marriage. Her husband is a serial killer and he uses her and their life together to create a sense of normalcy for his life, so he's not suspected. He is a terrible, horrible person--MAJOR narcissistic and psychopathic behaviors. I'm a fan of psychological thrillers, so if you like that kind of stuff, check out this book. This is the first book I've read by Lisa Gardner, and I'll probably check out some more of her books sometime (but I won't read them in the dark!). I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
Island of Lost Girls by Jennifer McMahon
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It was strange. A big, white bunny kidnaps a little girl (okay, it's a bunny costume, not a real bunny). From there, the book weaves a strange tale involving childhood loves that were lost, family secrets, and broken hearts. It wasn't bad, it was just a little much for me. The story line seemed a little confusing in the beginning, but it did come together in the end. I did NOT see the ending coming! I was totally surprised, which makes me like the book more. If you like mysteries and drama, you will probably like this book. I would give it 3.5 stars (out of 5).
The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain
This has been my FAVORITE book of the year! I was drawn to it because of the cover (I know, I'm lame) and that it was about a midwife. I feel a kindred spirit to midwives because they are nurses, too, and I actually got to visit the School of Midwifery in Hyden, KY when I was in nursing school. That's another story for another day....sorry. Anywho, this book was GREAT! It was all about secrets, lies, and betrayal. Basically, this midwife commits suicide and while going through her belongings, her two best friends discover that almost everything they knew about her was a lie. Since reading this book, I've been hooked on Diane Chamberlain's books. I've loved all of them, but none as much at The Midwife's Confession. If you like Jodi Picoult books, you will probably enjoy this one. I give it 4.85 out of 5 stars!
Stay tuned, I'll post more book reviews later. I've read some other really good ones this year! Do you have any recommendations for me?
2 comments:
Hi Jill,
You asked for recommendations and I have a blog about books (christianbookmom.blogspot) that you might enjoy checking out. I have a list on my sidebar of my personal favorite fifteen.
Thanks for your suggestions! Always great to hear about more books!
Blessings!
Kathy
p.s. I love my nook too!
Hi Jill I also love to read but these days it is mostly books on baby lost. It looks like you like thrillers. Two kind of raise you hair kind of book I read are--This present darkness and the shack, I really enjoyed both. The shack was very emotional.
Post a Comment