Saturday, December 11, 2010

Why I Hate Baking

It's true. I'm not a fan of baking. I know this will horrify most normal people who love baking, but I hate it.

Today I've been attempting to bake cookies to hand out to people in our neighborhood. For the record, there are many other people making delicious cookies, not just me. I think our neighborhood would be disappointed if the cookies were all made by me.

I'm writing this blog post while waiting for my cookies to bake....I'm planning to vent some of my baking frustrations.

Why I Hate Baking:

1. Baking is too precise. You have to be very careful to measure each ingredient perfectly, or your baked goods won't turn out well. I hate precision. I don't like being bossed around by recipes.

2. Speaking of recipes...you have to use one. Unless you have a super brain that can remember precise ingredients for specific cookies, you have to use a recipe. Which means you have to FIND a recipe. I have about a million recipes in books and saved online. It takes forever to find what I want.

3. It uses WAY too many dishes! Just to make some cookies, I've used every single measuring cup, measuring spoon, one bowl to mix the dry ingredients, one bowl to mix wet ingredients, multiple cookies sheets, spoons, a mixer, a spatula......grr! My kitchen is a wreck!

4. Everything sticks. I use the non stick spray...I've used that spray with flour in it...I've used non stick bake ware.....it doesn't matter. I'm always scraping crap off my cookie sheets. And trying to get a cake out of a cake pan? No, thank you!

5. The ingredients for baking are annoying. Like the fact that I was supposed to use SOFTENED butter for my cookies. Well, I didn't remember to take it out ahead of time. When I did attempt to take it out, I realized I only had one stick in the fridge. The rest of my butter was in the deep freezer. So I decided to microwave the frozen butter. I didn't pay close enough attention, and the butter melted. So I made my cookies with melted butter and now they probably won't turn out.
Other examples of annoying ingredients: flour (because don't you dare pack the flour), brown sugar (always manages to be super messy...and you have to pack it), eggs (adding one at a time? seriously?), the little teaspoons here and there (salt, baking powder, baking soda, etc)

6. I feel like it takes forever to bake cookies. You can only put one cookie sheet in the oven, on the middle rack, otherwise they will burn. So every 10-15 minutes, you are getting up, checking the cookies, taking them out, putting in a new batch. This does not apply to other things like cakes and breads, so really, it's just for cookies. But still annoying.

7. Sometimes, baked goods will just not turn out. And you don't know why! No rhyme or reason, it just won't work. I've had this happen with cookies and cakes.....same recipe I've always used, just randomly will flop.

8. I've never had a cookie that was better than its dough. Why do we ruin such an amazing treat by baking it? I love cookie dough....LOVE it. And yes, I eat it with the raw eggs. I've done it my whole life and survived. I bet my neighborhood people would be happier if I just throw some cookie dough in a cup and hand it to them.


Thank you for indulging me and letting me vent. My cookies turned out okay....just stuck to every single cookie sheet. Also, I'm pretty sure I ate way too much cookie dough. :)

4 comments:

MelissaInk said...

Parchment paper. Best stuff ever.

coranne said...

I was just about to say the same thing as Melissa- it makes baking SO MUCH EASIER AND it cleans up so easy!

PS- have you ever tried making a whole bunch of dough and then freezing it? I make a whole bunch of plain doh and then add in whatever chips I want when it is time to bake :)

jennymarie1981 said...

I'm actually glad for your honesty...I LOVE baking and sometimes feel like I'm imposing my baked goods on people...so it's good to hear that baking is not for everyone.

And I find it humorous that the lady in charge of handing out the psych meds doesn't like precision :)

I'm the opposite...love the precision of baking...but it drove me nuts on the unit.

Becky C said...

Jill you are as bad as Uncle Lee. He feels the same way about the dough. He would much rather eat it than the cookie! He even eats raw pie dough!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...