Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Fat of the Land...


The girls and I went outside today to get some goodies from our garden.  Our big tomatoes are ripening and we have a bunch of cherry tomatoes that are getting red. 

This is what we picked today.  There weren't as many cucumbers because I picked 7 yesterday.  But there are a bunch of smaller cukes that will be ready soon.  I think it's time to freeze some tomatoes!  I'm terrified of canning them (I've never done it...), so I think I'll just blanch them and freeze them. 



Has anyone had their cherry tomatoes split?  We got tons of rain last week, and a bunch of my red cherry tomatoes split right down the middle.  I think it was because of the sudden rush of water they got.  I guess you're not supposed to eat them because bacteria can get in the split and grow.  Whatever.  I've been eating some of them. :)  

Have I mentioned that I love my garden?  My yard had better watch out...next year I want to triple my garden size!

Photobucket

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Canning really isn't hard, but it can be time consuming. For tomatoes, I prefer freezing because its so easy! You can X the bottom of the tomatoes and drop them in boiling water to loosen their skins. Then chop and place in a freezer bag. Or my fav is to puree them up and freeze or make salsa/spaghetti sauce and freeze that. Then you've got great tasting tomatoes all year long!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...