Over at Kelly's Korner, she's hosting 'Show Us Your Life--Working Moms'. I love Kelly's blog, and I love the link ups she does every Friday.
I'm currently a working mom to three little ones under three. It's not easy balancing work and my family, but right now, I need to work. So I balance the best I can! I'm not going to lie, there are many times that laundry and cleaning are pushed to the back burner, but I know that time with my kids is so much more important. When they grow up, they won't remember wearing mismatched clothing because most of their clothes are dirty. I'm hoping they will remember having a mom who loved them and listened to them and took time for them.
I've been told I have an interesting job. Usually, people don't say "interesting" in a good way. They usually say interesting in a "wow, glad I don't have your job" kind of way.
I'm a psychiatric nurse. I work on a locked, inpatient unit. Basically, we care for people who are suicidal, homicidal, or what we call 'gravely disabled' (meaning people are so sick they aren't safe to be out in the community). If you go to the hospital because you attempted suicide, you end up in a place like where I work. If you try to kill your neighbor, or get drunk and attempt to jump off a bridge, or try to punch a guy at the store because the voices told you to, you come see me.
(the infamous Nurse Ratched)
I've learned so much from my patients over the past few years. I really believe that most of us are just one or two huge life crises away from needing an inpatient unit. A big part of my job is listening, reflecting, and redirecting. It's hard to listen to some stories and not put yourself in that situation, wondering if you would be able to cope.
So since I feel we are all so close to being on a psych unit, I thought I would give you some 'tips', just in case you ever find yourself there! :)

Top Ten Tips from Nurse Jill
I'm currently a working mom to three little ones under three. It's not easy balancing work and my family, but right now, I need to work. So I balance the best I can! I'm not going to lie, there are many times that laundry and cleaning are pushed to the back burner, but I know that time with my kids is so much more important. When they grow up, they won't remember wearing mismatched clothing because most of their clothes are dirty. I'm hoping they will remember having a mom who loved them and listened to them and took time for them.
I've been told I have an interesting job. Usually, people don't say "interesting" in a good way. They usually say interesting in a "wow, glad I don't have your job" kind of way.
I'm a psychiatric nurse. I work on a locked, inpatient unit. Basically, we care for people who are suicidal, homicidal, or what we call 'gravely disabled' (meaning people are so sick they aren't safe to be out in the community). If you go to the hospital because you attempted suicide, you end up in a place like where I work. If you try to kill your neighbor, or get drunk and attempt to jump off a bridge, or try to punch a guy at the store because the voices told you to, you come see me.
(the infamous Nurse Ratched)I've learned so much from my patients over the past few years. I really believe that most of us are just one or two huge life crises away from needing an inpatient unit. A big part of my job is listening, reflecting, and redirecting. It's hard to listen to some stories and not put yourself in that situation, wondering if you would be able to cope.
So since I feel we are all so close to being on a psych unit, I thought I would give you some 'tips', just in case you ever find yourself there! :)

Top Ten Tips from Nurse Jill
10. Don't be afraid of the other patients on the unit. You aren't any better than any of them, and you just might learn that your issues are minor compared to other people's problems.
9. Always wear socks. Just trust me on this one.
8. Being demanding and rude will not help you. Please remember that the staff did not go out, pick you up, and sign a court order forcing treatment. We have nothing to do with that and it isn't our fault. Acting like a jerk to us doesn't get you anywhere, except on our 'most unlikeable patient' list (and you don't want to be on the list).
7. Don't spit on anyone. It's really gross and makes the spittee (is that a word?) very angry.
6. You don't know everything. The fact that you are on psych unit means you probably need help. Be open to suggestions, be open to conversations, be open to changes.
5. Medications do not fix problems. Meds may help you cope with your current situation, but they will not take the problems away. Be realistic about what to expect when starting a medication. If you don't "feel it" working immediately, please don't demand the doctor try something else. Most antidepressants and mood stabilizers take a few weeks to really be effective.
4. Go to groups. It's good for you. Remember that you aren't on the unit for a vacation, you're there for treatment. Attend and be present. Talk. Be open.
3. Using the street terms for drugs (for example: xanies, bars, bens, blues, quels, etc) is a bad idea. Just trust me.
2. Keep in mind that an inpatient psych unit is not a great place to pick up dates. Please don't hook up with people from the unit. It's a really bad idea. And yes, there are cameras in your room.
1. Be grateful. Staff are very rarely thanked for anything we do or say. If we help you, tell us you appreciate it. It really means so much to us and keeps us going.
There you go. You are now prepared to be on an inpatient psych unit! :)
Really, though, I love my job. It is challenging, always changing, and at times, intense. I'm cursed at and cried to frequently. My job has forced me to be confrontational and assertive. It's been good for me and I know I'm a better nurse, wife, pastor's wife, and mother because of this job.

Really, though, I love my job. It is challenging, always changing, and at times, intense. I'm cursed at and cried to frequently. My job has forced me to be confrontational and assertive. It's been good for me and I know I'm a better nurse, wife, pastor's wife, and mother because of this job.

4 comments:
I clicked over from Kelly's Korner. Just wanted to say that I am thankful for people who do what you do. I have a family member who has been in and out of institutions like the one where you work. I am thankful for people like you who help to take care of people like her!
You rock!! It takes a strong and dedicated person to do a job like that. Not everyone could handle it with the grace it sounds like you have.
our jobs sound a lot alike, only my clients aren't on a locked unit (although some should be!). And I deal with their children as well. You really see it come full circle!
As I like to say, it takes a certain person to do this kind of job. Thank heavens for people like you! :)
I am grateful for people like you. I could not do it. I am a pastor and have a hard time dealing with people who are their own worst enemy. I often want to choke them. Bless you, your servant's heart and your patience.
Post a Comment