Saturday, September 3, 2011

Post Op


Olivia had surgery a few weeks ago.

My poor baby! :(

I was not happy about having this done and I went back and forth, almost calling the hospital and canceling several times.

When Olivia was born, she had two little skin tag thingys on her left ear. They didn't bother her or seem to be problematic, it was just one of those weird things that happens occasionally during development.

We had to take her to an ENT to have them checked out. He said that more than likely they were just skin tags, but there was possibility they could be cysts connected to her ear canal. He basically told us it was our decision. Did we want to have them surgically removed, or wait until she was older? Or not remove them at all?

After some debate, we decided to have them removed now. Several factors played into our decision:
She's a baby, she won't remember the surgery
Our deductible had been met for our insurance this year, so it would be paid 100% (otherwise, we would have to pay out of pocket next year...our insurance is like a coupon, really)
If it was a cyst, it needed to be removed eventually

What really bothered me is that the doctor felt he had to put her out for the surgery...not just local anesthesia. So the day came, and with much heartache and tears (on my part), Olivia had her little skin tags removed.

I stayed home with the twins and Brooks took her. I was afraid I would have cried at the hospital.

The good news? The were able to do it with just local anesthetic. The bad news? It had 5 non-dissolvable stitches (we were told just 3 dissolvable).

Anyways, it's done and over with. Olivia did amazingly well. She's such a content child, she just rolled with the punches. The stitches were removed this past week and her ear is healing up really well. I don't think she'll have much of a scar.

Here are some picture of her ear before the surgery...I marked the tags with arrows

Not the most flattering angle, Mom.
After the surgery...she had a little bit of blood in her ear


I kind of miss her little ear tags. They made her unique.



Photobucket

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...