Thursday, May 7, 2009

Well, it's official. My babies are growing up. Newborn clothes are too short for my tall girls! Today I realized that both girls couldn't stretch their legs out all the way in their newborn outfits (the outfits have feet).

The newborn outfits without feet look like capri's on the girls, and all the arms look like 3/4 length sleeves! So today I broke down and pulled out two outfits from the 0-3 drawer.
Here is a picture of Gianna in a newborn outfit...note the short arms...and tight right foot. I'm pretty sure she couldn't stretch her leg all the way out.




Here is a zoom in of the foot...it's trying to break free! The stitching can't hold on much longer!

Here are the girls in their 0-3 month outfits...room to grow!


This picture cracks me up...her outfit says 'happy'....oh, the irony!

Last weekend, Brooks' Grandpa Strickland came to visit us! We were excited because he lives way up in Michigan and had never been down to see us. Brooks' mom and dad came along and spent the weekend with us.

Here's Grandpa Strickland with Maya

And four generations...Grandpa, Shelley, Brooks, and the twins


I tried to go to the mall today by myself. It was not a successful outing...first of all, I drove around the mall looking at every entrance, trying to find a handicap entrance. It's a trick to get the double stroller through doors. I finally found ONE entrance, by Sears, and the handicap button was broken (Isn't that illegal or something? What if I was REALLY handicapped?). While I was finagling the stroller through the doors (grunting and trying to hold the door with my leg), the wind whipped Maya's blanket in her face. She started crying. I tried to stick her pacifier in her mouth while still attempting to get inside and then I pinched my finger in the door. Maya continued crying....wouldn't take the pacifier. I walked up and down the mall, she wouldn't stop crying. Finally, I unhooked her and picked her up, which she liked. The problem with that was that I can't steer the stroller with one hand. Maya then spit up on my shoulder, I ran into a clothes rack and almost knocked it over, and finally I put her back in the stroller. Which caused her to start crying. Again.
A lovely old lady in Penney's decided to come over and admire the girls....then proceeded to tell me that I shouldn't be using pacifiers because they make the babies "dependent". I'm still not sure what she meant.
Another lady in Sears decided that it was the perfect time to tell me about her 6 grandchildren and how she is retired from Chrysler and she is worried about her retirement. She was looking for "good deals" because she would probably be poor soon. She told me all this with Maya crying in the background.
I then looked at my watch and found that I had 20 minutes before the girls needed to eat again. No shopping was accomplished, and Maya continued crying until I started driving.

Needless to say, it was not a fun outing. I never realized how many mean looks you get when you have a crying kid!

Here's Maya in the little lamb swing....the girls are finally starting to like it.

Gianna's little face...just waking up and not happy about it...

Ruffle butt

The girls are doing great with sleeping at night...they are still sleeping 4-5 hours, then I feed them and sometimes they will sleep ANOTHER 4 hours! It's lovely.

I'm still breastfeeding exclusively, but I'm considering switching to just pumping and supplementing with formula. I'm getting to the point where breastfeeding is taking up SO MUCH time....basically 1 1/2 hours per feeding, times 8 feedings a day....I'm breastfeeding for 12 hours a day. That's not including changing their diapers, burping, and awake time.

I still haven't decided what I want to do. I definitely want to continue pumping and give them mostly breast milk at each feeding. And if we give them bottles, it gives me the peace of mind that they are getting enough food....plus, I think I would be a happier momma. I'm just annoyed with breastfeeding right now.

Here's a cute picture of Brooks and Maya...See? My kids aren't ALWAYS crying...they are happy when daddy is home!


5 comments:

the Momma Bird said...

i can't imagine breast feeding two little ones. i complain about only one! whew. well, i'll be praying for you! i'm sitting here typing this while cohen decides for the 3rd time today that he's going to cry instead of take a nap. joy.

aunt kim said...

awww! my nieces look so much bigger! but they still look too small in their clothes, they are just too tall i guess. :-) we are coming to visit tomorrow, and i think mom wants to take you and brooks out to dinner, if possible. i am willing to attempt staying at home with the chillin. love you guys.

Unknown said...

I STILL don't try to venture out with the children! You're a brave woman. I don't blame you for wanting to cut back on the breastfeeding. Some babies eat fast, some slow. You can't spend ALL of your time with your boobs hanging out! Plus, I found it was much easier to keep track of the exact amount of food the babies were getting and it was cool to see how that amount increased over time. Best of luck and don't feel guilty! I made that mistake!

BmR said...

Hey, feel good for breastfeeding this long! It does feel like work at the beginning, and I can't imagine with two. But I encourage you to hang in there, it does get easier, when they get more control and start to realize their surroundings a bit. It can be such a sweet, fulfilling relationship and enjoyable as they get older. I love how you can tickle them and they laugh or smile all while nursing and try to pinch your face. But whatever you do, feel good you've done it this long, and with two! Don't be hard on yourself. Some people don't even get that far! If I can ever offer advice let me know, after two and Ella still going strong I feel like an old pro. I'm praying for you, you're a great Mom!!

The Bontragers said...

Jill, your girls are absolutely beautiful. It's amazing how fast they grow - even just watching them through photos. Abby and I were talking this past weekend on how much we love their names. We miss you and Morgs so much - maybe we could plan a time together sometime soon. It would be fun to talk about good old 'roomie days :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...