Friday, February 5, 2010

Schedules

Although my girls are very different in almost every way, they have always slept at the same time. This has been wonderful...giving Mommy some alone time during nap time.
They were napping three times a day up until a few weeks ago, when Brooks we decided to change their schedule.

I suppose they needed a new schedule...there were days where they didn't want to nap as much and they wanted to stay awake way past nap time. But there were other days where they seemed so tired and slept great during their three nap times.

The new schedule consists of only two nap times....from 9:30a.m. to 12, and then again from 2:30p.m. to 5p.m.

Here's the problem:
Gianna has no issues with these long naps...she is a great napper.
Maya, on the other hand, will sleep for about an hour and a half, then wants to get up. If I ignore her and let her cry (hoping she will go back to sleep), she will stand up in her crib and talk and yell at Gigi until both girls are awake, laughing at each other.
If I get Maya up early (when she wants to get up), she is tired and fussy during the next awake time, doesn't want to eat well, and makes me miserable.

So what do we do? Go back to three naps a day? Stick it out longer and see if Maya adjusts? Or...have the girls on two different schedules? The latter sounds terrible. This mommy needs nap time to get laundry and cooking done!

Also, for the record, I've learned that super tired/exhausted babies do NOT sleep better than well rested babies. Sleep begets sleep...if they nap well, it makes them nap well. It doesn't make tons of sense, but trust me, it's true.

If anyone has any advice, I need it!




Okay, I'm finished whining about my sweet angels.

Here are some Sayer family updates:
  • The girls are pulling themselves up on anything that holds still long enough, including the couch, Norah, the oven, and the kitchen cabinets. They will hold on to the couch and 'walk' all around it.
  • Gianna LOVES walking. When we hold her hands and let her 'walk' down the hall, she will laugh and laugh. She is the fastest crawler I have ever seen...sometimes I think she has some x-men powers that allow her to teleport from the living room to the bathroom in 2 seconds. I'm considering changing her name to Nightcrawler.
  • We are using only cloth diapers right now. I decided to just go for it...make the switch. I really like the diapers and I've noticed less diaper rash problems. The extra laundry doesn't seem to be a huge deal. I've been using our homemade laundry soap to wash the diapers and it seems to be working fine. I guess the worst part is dumping out the poop into the toilet and sometimes touching poop/pee (accidentally, of course). This actually doesn't bother me too much...I'm a nurse...universal precautions, people.


Aunt Kim came to visit last weekend and took some pictures of the girls. I'm still not sure if she came to hang out with the girls or play with the Wii...either way, we were happy to see her!



7 comments:

Unknown said...

My twins came across the same schedule difficulties and we ended up just continuing with the same schedule (2 naps a day) until they both got used to it. It was a pain in the butt for a while but eventually they figured out that it was for their own good. I've learned that you really just HAVE to keep them on the same schedule otherwise you'll NEVER get anything done and they will adjust in their own time. Now my kids are totally synchronized and it's awesome. But, you also have to go with what you feel is the best option for your girls. If you feel like you're punishing them or not being fair then go with your gut.

Christina Estes said...

Selah is taking 2 naps and has been for months now. She usually sleeps from 10-12 and 2-4 and then goes to bed around 7:30. Hope you get it figured out, schedules are wonderful/terrible at the same time!

Courtney said...

Yay for cloth diapering! We love our cloth and have cloth diapered two kids now. Peytonn potty trained at 2 1/2 which is early for a boy.

As for the schedules, I would do what you feel is best. I'm sure Maya will adjust over time. :) Goodluck!

Meredith said...

I'd stick to two naps and they will adjust. I'd let Maya fuss for a little, but get her up so she doesn't bother Gianna. Two naps at this age is not uncommon. I'm surprised they still took 3 naps! Usually 2 naps at this age will start interfering with the bedtime as they get older, so it's best to transition to 2 naps. Most babies only sleep at least an hour, so Maya's hour and half is actually decent. My girls would only sleep 30 minutes for the longest time. If Maya is up early, give her some quiet play, like watching a cartoon for a little bit so you still have some time.

Feldman Family said...

I don't have any advice on your napping schedule other than to say to just do what you think is best :) But I did want to say how cute the girls are! And I love your header for the blog! I was looking at those little diaper covers on Etsy...did you get them on Etsy? I thought they would make for a cute photo someday...you just proved me right :) And...loved the name blog post...very fun to read! Looks like all is well for you and I'm so happy for that. Take care!

Love
Ali

pkgormong said...

Jill,

Ok, I'm a blog stalker too and like to check yours out:) your girls are sooo big:) They are growing fast! I can't wait to meet them when we come to your church in August...wow that is a long time from now...:) Hey do you do babywise? Can you tell me what your schedule was for your girls around 4 months? Just wondering..anyway I wish I could give you advice, but I don't have any:) I'm a little behind and think you will probably make better decisions then me!

haha
checking your blog again soon...
Kara Gormong

pkgormong said...

p.s. I do cloth diapers too and LOVE them!!! What kind do you have?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...