Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Happy New Year!

Okay, it's a few days PAST New Year's Day, but I'm just now getting around to thinking about new year's resolutions.

I figured that if I blog about our family's resolutions, I'll be more inclined to keep those resolutions. :) I'm not too good at keeping resolutions. I think I resolved to lose weight every year for the past 10 years...obviously, that has not worked! So, 'losing weight' is not going to be a resolution, but I'm going to make some goals to eat healthier and move more.


So here are my goals for this year:

1. Eat less meat. I think we eat way too much meat as a family, so I want to start incorporating some vegetarian meals several times a week. This past week I made some Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas, which were amazing. Brooks hates sweet potatoes and loved the recipe. He didn't even miss the meat!

2. When the weather gets warmer (as in, no snow/ice on the ground and well above freezing), I would like to start walking to work. I live so close to work and I need to walk there...it's just a matter of getting up a little earlier in the morning and NOT being lazy.

3. I want to buy a few cloth diapers and use them. I don't want to totally switch to cloth, but I think even a few diapers every day would make a difference.

4. I want to keep my house cleaner. I don't want to go into panic mode when I find out someone is coming over, and I want to practice more hospitality.

5. Eat more vegetables. This goes hand in hand with eating less meat, but I would like to make sure I include at least one vegetable with every meal, preferably two....and eat more salads.

6. I want to continue making my own laundry detergent for an entire year and keep track of how much I save by making it.

7. I want to be more intentional with certain relationships in my life.

8. I want to memorize more scripture. Maybe one verse a month...I'm not sure.

9. I'm going to make a menu out for each week (why are all my resolutions about food? hmm...). If I plan what to cook, then I know what to buy at the grocery store and we don't eat impulse meals (fast food, frozen pizza, cookie dough)....also saving money and calories.

That's all I can think of right now....but I think it's enough to keep me busy for a while.

Now, on to the real reason you read my blog. Not my stupid resolutions or my engaging rhetoric (ha!)...but the babies.
Who are now 9 months old.
Unbelievable.
I feel sad.
I wish they could stay this age longer.

Here are a few things I've learned from the babies this year:
  • I'm less selfish. Nothing in my life is entirely about me anymore, and surprisingly, I love it.
  • I don't worry about little things. Having spit up on my shirt doesn't matter.
  • I've learned that God does provide...when I've been weak, He's been my strength. He gives and takes away. This past year so much has been taken away, but I look at the two beautiful gifts He has given me and I realize that not only is His timing perfect, but His blessings are overwhelming.
  • If you're sad, hurt, or really tired....it's okay to cry.
  • The girls have changed my personal opinion of birth control. That's a whole 'nother blog post...I won't get into it now.
  • And if you're sitting in poop, you need a change.
I just love 'em.

At 9 months, Maya weighs 20 pounds, 9 ounces and Gianna is weighing 19 pounds, 9 ounces.
They are both about 29 inches tall.

Maya
At 9 months old, Maya is crawling. She is on the move! She loves Norah, any remote control, phones, anything that lights up, and clapping her hands. She smacks her lips and makes kissing noises...and gives big, wet, sloppy kisses where she licks your cheek. She has no teeth, but her hair has been growing like crazy. She eats slower than Gianna and doesn't like to be rushed. Maya thinks sneezes are hilarious and can say "da-da" and "mamamam". She does not like getting dressed and especially HATES having shirts/dresses that go over her head. She has started fighting me when I'm trying to dress her and will pull the clothes off her head. Maya knows how to 'pat, pat' and will pat a book, Norah, my face....anything.

Gianna
Gianna is so loud. This is from Daddy. She likes to scream/squeal, just to hear herself. Gigi is crawling, but she crawls backwards right now. She doesn't like crawling and would much rather stand up (with help). Everything goes in her mouth. She drools constantly and has four teeth already, and I think she might get some more teeth soon. She will 'flirt' with us...when she sees us, she will lay her head on her shoulder, smile, and coo. It's the cutest thing ever. She shakes her head from side to side when we say "Gigi, bobblehead". She can say "da-da" really well, but hasn't quite picked up ma-ma....but she does say "goo". If you say "Ahhhh" to her, she will say it back to you.

They both love playing peek-a-boo and are such Daddy's girls. When he walks in a room, they just light up and start smiling and giggling.


Gigi and cookie monster....bestest friends.




I can't wait to see what 2010 has in store for us...
(side note: anyone else realize it is 2010 and we still don't have flying cars? what is the deal with that?)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...